A bicycle with a motor is commonly referred to as a motorized bicycle. This type of bicycle has a motor attached to it is used to assist the rider when peddling. These motors are electrically run. The motors on the bicycles can be small to assist the rider to propel the bicycle on tough terrain. Larger electric motors propel bicycles for longer distances. The electric power on these bicycles is supplied by rechargeable batteries. Bicycle with motor for sale are available in very few countries like Germany and China.
Building a motorized bicycle is a project you can do on your own in a few simple steps.
1. First, find a bicycle that is in good condition. This is because the motor will add-on an extra load on the bicycles. The bicycle should also have a carrier. This is where the batteries will be tied.
2. The second thing you should have is a battery pack and batteries. A bicycle with a motor requires batteries with 24 or 36 volts. The battery pack should have a charger to charge the batteries whenever they are low.
3. When buying a motor for the bicycle, it is essential to be strictly buying the required motor. The motor should have a bicycle chain sprocket. Most bicycle motors come without a sprocket. This type of motors requires a lot of modification to fit the sprocket and may break down after a short period of time. The sprocket size on the electric motor should also match the one on your bicycle.
4. Another piece of equipment needed for the bicycle is a throttle. A 1/aluminium steel plate and a single speed bicycle chain.
5. After collecting all the equipments needed, you can connect them to the bicycle. Connect the throttle to the controller. The motor is also connected to the controller. Using wires connect the batteries to the controller.
6. After connecting all the parts, turn the throttle to check if the motor is spinning. If it works the motor is ready to be fixed on the bicycle.
7. The motor is fixed on the bicycle triangle frame. The motor is aligned with the sprocket so as to power the bicycle. The controller is mounted to the bicycle frame from which it runs the electrical system.
8. Test the motor again before fastening the structure. If it runs, it means everything is fine. If not, carefully double-check the connection to ensure it is correct.
9. The throttle is attached to the handlebar and the battery pack is tied to the carrier.
10. Test the bicycle again to find out whether you can pedal and use the motor without any problem.
These bicycles are currently very costly and it would save you a lot of money if you are able to build one for yourself. You can engage your local mechanic to assist you with connecting the motor. The motor bicycle is still classified as a bicycle hence a rider should adhere to rules and safety measures that are stated for bicycle users. You should also be careful when riding by keeping the safety of other commuters in mind.